This Vegan Zucchini and Pea Soup is “creamy,” totally delicious and so easy to make!
Although we’re well into Spring it’s still a little chilly outside. This Zucchini and Pea Soup has all the promise of summer with the warmth and comfort still needed to combat the last cold days. It’s super duper good for you, very low in calories and fat, it tastes beautifully creamy but being vegan there’s not a drop of dairy in it:) When the weather does hot up it’s delicious served cold.
What are the health benefits of zucchini?
- low in calories but packed with nutrients, especially Vitamin K
- high in antioxidants, in particular carotenoids such as lutein and beta-carotene which benefit the eyes
- studies have shown zucchinis benefit the digestion, this may be because of their high water content
- zucchinis can help lower blood sugar levels
- they are said to contribute to heart health
How to make Zucchini and Pea Soup
It’s a very easy process that involves a little chopping, sauteing and blending!
Start with preparing the veggies, then saute the onion in a little olive oil. Add the garlic, leek, zucchini, salt and pepper and saute for another few minutes.
Add the vegetable stock and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes or so. Remove from heat, add the peas. Cool for 5-10 minutes, add the mint and blend very well until velvety smooth. You can use an immersion blender, this one is fabulous! or an upright blender, this one is the absolute cream of the crop!
There you have it, so easy and quick and you have a bowl of nourishing deliciousness. You can serve it with a dollop of non diary sour cream, salt, pepper or a scattering of nuts and seeds such as hemp and pumpkin.
Frequently asked questions
- Does it freeze well? Yes, most soups do, especially if they don’t have any cream in them. This will freeze beautifully.
- How long can you keep Zucchini and Pea Soup in the fridge? 4 days will be fine.
Zucchini and Pea Soup
A deliciously nourishing soup that can be served hot or cold
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: soup
- Diet: Vegan
3–4 tablespoons vegetable stock
1 large onion, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 leek, thoroughly cleaned and finely chopped
4 zucchinis, washed a diced (remove the top)
3 1/2 – 4 cups best quality vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
Non dairy sour cream
- Heat the 3-4 tablespoons vegetable stock in a large pan, add the onion, cook on medium – low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and taking care not to burn the onions. They will begin to turn a light golden color. Add a little more stock if necessary.
- Add the garlic and leek, cook for a further 3-5 minutes.
- Place the zucchini in the pan, stir well. Pour in the vegetable stock, bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and partially cover the pot. Cook for about 10 minutes until the zucchini is tender.
- Add the peas to the pot, they will cook almost instantly in the heat. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before adding the mint.
- Blend until the soup is totally smooth.
- Taste and add the freshly ground black pepper. Taste again and add more pepper if desired.
- Serve with desired garnish.
Keywords: soup, vegan, zucchini
Looking for other fabulous soups?
Don’t forget to Pin it for later!