A deliciously, healthy, satisfying Winter Veggie Bowl
For the root vegetables:
2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes, or 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
For the lentils and rice:
2 cups brown rice COOKED
1, 15oz can lentils, drained and rinsed
Pinch of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon low-sodium Tamari
For the cabbage slaw:
2 cups red cabbage, very thinly sliced
The juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon maple syrup or date syrup
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
For the Dressing:
1/2 cup tahini
Juice of a lemon OR 1 – 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
1 – 2 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon of Herbes de Provence,
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin,
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder,
1/2 teaspoon onion powder.
1/2 – 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Pinch of black pepper
Iced water too thin to a smooth consistency.
For the greens:
1 bunch of broccoli or broccoli rabe
Microgreens or broccoli sprouts
1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley for serving.
1. Preheat the oven to 425 F Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat
2. Chop the peeled sweet potato OR butternut squash into bite-sized cubes. Toss in the olive oil, Herbes de Provence, ground cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder. Place on a lined sheet pan and place in the oven to roast for about 30-45 minutes until tender.
3. While the root vegetables are roasting, in a medium bowl mix together the COOKED rice and drained lentils. Add the black pepper, Herbes de Provence, rice vinegar, garlic powder, and 1 tablespoon of low-sodium Tamari. Set aside.
4. To make the slaw, slice the cabbage VERY thinly. You could use a mandoline slicer, but please be very careful with your fingers!! Place the cabbage in a bowl, and add the lime juice, maple or date syrup, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and chopped cilantro if using. Toss well to combine and set aside.
5. To make the dressing: Mix all the ingredients except the water in a bowl. Pour in the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring well. The texture will be very thick at first, then it will look curdled, keep adding water and stirring well until it’s smooth and pourable.
6. Steam the broccoli until just tender.
7. To assemble the bowl, simply spoon the cooked rice and lentils into a bowl, add the roasted and steamed vegetables, add the cabbage on the side and pour over the dressing, sprinkle with fresh parsley. Give thanks for the abundance and enjoy.
Keywords: Winter Power Bowl