A Delicious Wild Rice, Lemon, and Mushroom Soup!
Enjoy a deliciously nourishing bowl of Wild Rice, Lemon, and Mushroom Soup. It’s filled with flavor, fully plant-based and gluten-free:) This tastes like a big bowl of comfort! It is “chowder” like, but there’s no dairy or flour, just lots of plant power and flavor from the lemon, and fresh dill. The “creaminess” comes from the plant milk that deliciously replaces the cream.
Why use Wild Rice?
What are the benefits of wild rice? Buckle up! there are plenty:
- high in fiber
- low in calories making it a nutrient-dense food
- a great plant-based protein source, containing more protein than any other type of rice
- filled with vitamins and minerals including, B6, magnesium, folate, phosphorus, zinc, copper, and manganese
- has been shown to be high in antioxidants
- may lower your risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease
How to make Wild Rice, Lemon, and Mushroom Soup.
Well, like almost everything else I cook, it’s very simple!
- Saute the onion in a low-sodium vegetable broth
- Add the carrots, turmeric, leeks, celery, and lemon juice, and cook a little longer
- To the mixture, add the mushrooms and stock, and cook until everything is nice and tender
- Pour in the milk, lemon juice and fresh dill
Where did the inspiration come from?
The basis of this wonderful recipe came from Plant You, a fabulous Whole Food Plant-Based Cookbook by Carleigh Bodrug. I refer to this book time and again, and highly recommend it. She also has a great website, with extensive meal plans, recipes, and information on how to live a plant-based lifestyle. I’ve changed the recipe a little, adding some ingredients and substituting a few ingredients, but the inspiration is Carleigh’s.
How long will the soup keep and can it be frozen?
- it will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days
- stored in an airtight container it will freeze for up to 2 months
Looking for other delicious soup recipes? Try these!
Don’t Forget To Pin It!!
I hope you love this Wild Rice, Lemon, and Mushroom Soup as much as I do! If you do make it, please take a picture and share it on Instagram and I’ll repost it on my stories. I’d love to hear from you! Please leave a comment and rate the recipe! Thanks so much and happy cooking:)Print
Wild Rice, Lemon and Mushroom Soup
An incredibly delicious, nourishing soup adapted from Plant You by Carleigh Bodrug
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: cozy
- Diet: Vegan
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves
2 medium-sized carrots, peeled and chopped
2 slices celery
Zest of a lemon
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon Herbes de Provence – or your favorite dried herb
Pinch of red pepper flakes
4–5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
2 cups chopped mushrooms, shittake, bella or cremini
1/4 cup uncooked wild rice
1 1.2 cups unsweetened soy milk
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup baby kale
1 cup frozen peas
- Combine the garlic and onion with 3 tablespoons of broth in a large pot. Saute over medium heat until the onion starts to become translucent.
- Add the carrots, leek, celery, lemon zest, turmeric, red pepper flakes, and dried herbs to the pot and cook for an additional 3 minutes
- Add the vegetable broth, mushrooms, and wild rice. bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook over low heat for 30 minutes or until the rice has fully cooked.
- Once the rice is cooked, add the soy milk, lemon juice, kale, and peas. Stir until the kale has wilted and the peas are cooked through. Taste and adjust the the seasonings as needed.
Keywords: Wild Rice, Lemon and Mushroom Soup