Refined sugar and oil-free, these Vegan Thumbprint Cookies will make your Holidays deliciously sweet:)
Don’t think for a moment that just because you’re eating a plant-based diet cookies are off the menu. They are not. They are most definitely on. These Vegan Thumbprint Cookies are gently sweetened with date syrup and a healthy teaspoon of your favorite jam. They’re fantastic. I consumed 8 in one day. That may have been a little excessive, but they slip down so easily with a cup of tea:)
What’s in these Vegan Thumbprint Cookies?
The ingredients are all very simple pantry ingredients. (You can substitute maple syrup for the date.)
- oat flour
- almond flour
- nut butter (peanut, cashew, almond, or sunflower seed butter)
- date syrup
- vanilla extract
- baking powder
- non-dairy milk
How do I make Vegan Thumbprint Cookies?
- Mix the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Whisk the wet ingredients together then pour into the dry.
- Stir well to combine adding a tablespoon of plant milk if the mixture is too thick.
- Scoop out and roll into little balls. Press your thumb into each ball to make an indentation.
- Fill with jam and bake for 15 minutes.
Do I have to chill the cookies?
If the mixture seems too soft to roll into a ball, probably as a result of adding a little too much non-dairy milk, you can chill the dough in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
You can also make the cookies in advance up to this point and chill the dough until you’re ready to bake them.
What jams should I use?
Check the ingredients on the jar. You don’t want your jam loaded with excess sugar and other unnecessary and unwelcome ingredients. It’s delicious to use a variety of flavors.
- Bonne Maman are my favorite.
How long will these Vegan Thumbprint Cookies last?
I don’t think this is going to be an issue. They disappear very quickly. However, if you have willpower made of steal I would say 3 days in an airtight container.
What equipment do I need to make these cookies?
If you’ve whipped up these Vegan Thumbprint Cookies or any other recipe on The Well Fed Yogi, please do rate the recipe and leave me a comment below, I would love to hear from you! If you snapped some shots of them, please do share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!Print
Vegan Thumbprint Cookies
A deliciously healthy, oil-free, refined sugar free version of the classic Thumbprint Cookie.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 12 cookies 1x
- Category: dessert, baking,
- Method: baking
- Diet: Vegan
1 cup oat flour
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup nut butter – almond, peanut, cashew, or sunflower
1/3 cup date syrup
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
Your favorite selection of best quality jams
Preheat the oven to 350F
- Line a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the oat flour, almond flour, cinnamon, and baking powder.
- In a bowl whisk together the nut butter of choice, date syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry. If the mixture is too thick add a tablespoon or two of non-dairy milk.
- Using a half tablespoon measuring spoon, scoop out the dough and roll into smooth balls. Place on the lined cookie sheet.
- Press a light indentation on each cookie with your thumb. Spoon about 1/4 teaspoon of jam into each cookie.
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. The cookies will firm up a little upon cooling.
Keywords: Vegan Thumbprint Cookies