No one will believe how easy this vegan pho soup recipe is to make! The beautifully spiced broth tastes amazing, add your favorite veggies and some luscious noodles and you have a very special bowl of nourishing plants! So although a traditional ‘pho” is made with a beef broth this one will blow your socks off, it’s much better for you, and happily has absolutely no cow involved.
Make it your own by adding the veggies you love. I used shiitake mushrooms, carrots, and baby bok choy but you could add or substitute with onion, bean sprouts, edamame, sugar snap peas, or snow peas. If you wanted to add some more protein, soft tofu cut into chunks would be a great option.
What spices are in the Vegan Pho Soup?
- Red Thai Bird Chiles or Red Pepper Flakes. Go with your comfort level as far as the heat is concerned. Amp it up or leave out the chili and red pepper flakes altogether.
- Star Anise
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Whole Cloves
- Coriander Seeds
- Fresh Ginger
What noodles should I use?
There are options! Try:
Do I need any special equipment to make Vegan Pho Soup?
Looking for more amazing soups? Try these!
I hope you love this Vegan Pho Soup as much as I do! If you do make it, please take a picture and share it on Instagram and I’ll repost it on my stories. I’d love to hear from you! please leave a comment and rate the recipe! Thanks so much and happy cooking:)Print
Vegan Pho Soup
A delicious beautifully spiced nourishing soup.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Diet: Vegan
4 cups best quality vegetable broth
1 1/2 inch knob fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 Thai red chili
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 carrots, peeled and cut into discs
1/4 cup Tamari or soy sauce
1/4 cup Mirin cooking wine
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 packet shiitake mushrooms, sliced
3 baby bok choy OR 1 cup snow peas OR sugar snap peas
1 cup fresh cilantro OR fresh basil
1 packet rice noodles OR if you prefer soba or udon noodles
- To make the spice bag place the star anise, cinnamon stick, cloves, and coriander seeds in a small piece of cheesecloth. Tie together with kitchen twine.
- Place the spice bag in a pan with all the other ingredients, except for the mushrooms and bok choy, lime, and fresh cilantro. Bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer and partially cover the pot.
- Allow to simmer for 10 – 15 minutes for the flavors to deepen and the carrots to begin to soften. Add the mushrooms and bok choy, cook until tender.
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions.
- Taste! Squeeze in the juice of lime if needed, sprinkle in 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro or basil.
- Serve with cooked noodles, lime wedges, and extra herbs for sprinkling.
Keywords: Vegan Pho Soup