Welcome Spring with this glorious Vegan Lemon Pudding!
If there’s anything guaranteed to lift the mood and brighten the skies it’s this Vegan Lemon Pudding. It tastes like the sun came out to play! Silky smooth, deliciously sweet with a hint of tartness it’s a glorious dessert. Naturally, there’s no refined sugar, fat, or salt in this recipe, which I admit is hard to believe as it tastes so indulgent. And it’s made with just 5 ingredients!
1/2 a teaspoon of turmeric was added to this recipe and it certainly amped up the color to more of a neon yellow, which worked well as it’s a dreary wet day here in New York, needing a little extra oomph. Next time I make it, however, I think I’ll go for a more refined softer yellow and leave the turmeric out.
What’s in this Vegan Lemon Pudding?
- lots of lemons (1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice)
- maple OR date syrup
- vanilla extract
- non-dairy milk (coconut or oat are exceptional in this as they add an extra creaminess)
- cornstarch (the thickening agent)
How is it so silky smooth?
Cornstarch is the secret ingredient here. If however, you do find lumps in your pudding, just pass it through a sieve to get rid of them before pouring it into the serving dishes. Be sure to place the plastic wrap directly over the top of the pudding or a skin will form.
Can I make it in advance?
Absolutely YES. In fact, it needs to be made at least a few hours in advance to be given a chance to chill sufficiently in the fridge. Overnight is ideal. It will last (given the chance which is doubtful) for up to 3 days in the fridge. I don’t recommend freezing this.
What equipment do I need to make this Pudding?
A really good quality non-stick pan makes life much easier.
I hope you love this Vegan Lemon Pudding. If you do make it please take a picture and share it on Instagram and I’ll repost it on my stories. I’d love to hear from you, please leave a comment and rate the recipe! Thanks so much and happy cooking:)
Looking for more delicious desserts? Try these!Print
Vegan Lemon Pudding
A bright, delicious, easy lemony dessert.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: dessert,
- Method: stove top
- Diet: Vegan
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup non-dairy milk, coconut, and oat are great options
1/4 cup maple or date syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional, for color)
2 heaping tablespoons cornstarch
- Pour the lemon juice, milk, vanilla extract, turmeric if using and maple/date syrup into a medium pan.
- Heat, stirring well until the mixture comes to a boil, turn down to a simmer.
- In a small bowl place the cornstarch and add about 1/4 cup of the lemon mixture to it. Mix well until very smooth. Pour this into the lemon liquid and stir continuously until thickened. If the mixture becomes lumpy pass through a sieve.
- Pour into small individual bowls, cover with plastic wrap directly over the top of the pudding or a skin will form, and place in the fridge to chill.
- Serve with an optional garnish of mint, berries, and a swirl of non-dairy cream.