This Quick and Easy Lentil Dahl is ready in 20 minutes and will keep you fully satisfied!
When you’re strapped for time but need a power boost from a deeply nourishing meal, this Quick and Easy Lentil Dahl is the ultimate go-to. If you have some organic cooked lentils it makes whipping this up a breeze. Adding plenty of lemon, herbs, and spices takes it from blah to bling! It also freezes brilliantly.
What’s in Quick and Easy Lentil Dahl
- lentils, as mentioned I like to use organic cooked lentils. However, if you’re using dried, I would suggest red lentils as they cook quicker than black or brown and tend to have a “creamier” texture.
- low-sodium vegetable broth
- herbs, I used cilantro, but parsley, chives, and mint are all lovely
- spices, ground cumin is wonderful, but you could also consider adding garam masala, ground turmeric, ground cardamom, and red chili pepper flakes
- fresh ginger
- veggies: garlic, onion, carrot, and baby spinach
- yogurt, which is entirely optional but adds a lovely creamy texture
What I LOVE about this Dahl
- It’s full of flavor and hugely satisfying
- Ready in 20 minutes – if you’re using precooked lentils
- Hugely budget-friendly
- A powerful plant-powered meal
- Fat-free, fiber-filled, and extremely healthy
- Tastes delicious!
Looking for more lentil dishes? Try these:)Print
Quick and Easy Lentil Dahl
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: Vegan
1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
2 large cloves of garlic peeled and smashed
1/2 inch knob ginger peeled and grated
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
1 cup red lentils rinsed or 1 packet or can of precooked lentils
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
3–4 cups low sodium veggie stock
1 cup baby spinach or kale
½ large lemon juiced
1 tablespoon plain Kite Hill yogurt (optional)
Chopped cilantro leaves for serving
- Finely chop the onion and grate (or chop) the garlic, ginger and carrot.
- In a large Dutch oven or pot, heat 1/4 cup of low sodium vegetable broth on medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and carrot, and saute for 5 minutes or until soft and fragrant. Add a little more broth if things begin to stick.
- Add the lentils and cumin, and stir to heat through. Add another 3 cups of the broth, turn the heat up to high, and bring to a boil. When just beginning to boil, reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and simmer 12-15 minutes or until lentils are very soft. Keep an eye on the dahl, if it’s looking too thick, add another cup of broth.
- When the lentils are cooked, blend about half of the dahl in a blender (or use an immersion blender). Add the blended soup back to the pot.
- Add the fresh lemon juice to the pot, the baby kale or spinach – it will cook in the heat of the soup, and the yogurt if using. Stir well, sprinkle over fresh cilantro and serve.
Keywords: Quick and Easy Lentil Dahl