Looking for a delicious Oil-free hummus recipe? Here we are! It’s packed with flavor and has a lusciously smooth texture that you’ll love.
How do you make hummus deliciously creamy without oil? I’ve got this covered in the recipe below. You’ll never want to use olive oil or buy store-bought again after you taste this Oil-free hummus!
The beauty of this recipe is that it takes about 5 minutes to whip up. You can keep it very plain or add flavorings to make it your own. Think lemon, fresh herbs, and plenty of spices:)
This post is all about the most flavorful and delicious Oil-free hummus!
Olive oil, contrary to popular wisdom is NOT needed to make really delicious and “creamy” hummus. This cuts down on unnecessary and unwanted calories but you don’t need to sacrifice the flavor. So what do you substitute for olive oil in your hummus to make it thick and creamy? Try the following;
- use a little of the reserved chickpea liquid from the can, otherwise known as aquafaba
- blitzing the ingredients REALLY thoroughly in the blender or food processor.
What’s in Oil-free hummus?
- Garbanzo beans
- Lemon zest and lemon juice
- Fresh garlic
- Ground cumin
- Herbes de Provence
- Black pepper
- Filtered water
- Aquafaba – liquid from canned chickpeas
What other flavors can I use?
- add some roasted garlic to produce a deeper garlicky vibe
- spices such as smoked paprika and red pepper flakes for heat and interest
- halving the amount of chickpeas and substituting with cooked edamame is delicious
- including fresh herbs such parsley, mint, and chives to really wake up the flavor
What equipment do I need to make Oil-free hummus?
To achieve the glorious smooth texture I like to make it in a high-speed Vitamix blender. The results are stellar. You can absolutely whip it up a high-quality food processor if you prefer. In all honesty, I don’t think it’s quite as smooth in the food processor but if you enjoy a little more texture that will work beautifully for you.
I like to grate the lemon zest and the garlic with a high-quality zester.
- What if my hummus is too thick? Add more water, chickpea liquid, or lemon juice.
- Not sure if the flavor is quite right? Try adding a few red pepper flakes, a dash more cumin or some more lemon zest
How long will it keep?
It will happily sit in the fridge for 5 days.Print
A deliciously smooth and flavor-packed Oil-free hummus.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: dip
- Diet: Vegan
1, 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained and thoroughly rinsed
2 tablespoons tahini
Zest of a lemon
Juice of 1–2 lemons (depending on their size and how lemony you like your hummus)
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and grated
1/4 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch of black pepper
1/2 – 3/4 cup filtered water
2–3 tablespoons aquafaba (chickpea water) – optional
- Drain and thoroughly rinse the garbanzo beans. Place in a high-speed Vitamix blender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, starting with the juice of 1 lemon and 1/2 cup water. BLITZ, add more water or aquafaba to reach the consistency you desire.
- TASTE! then add more lemon juice if needed.
Keywords: Oil-free hummus
Don’t forget to Pin it for later!
I hope you love this Oil-free hummus. If you do make it please take a picture and share it on Instagram and I’ll repost it on my stories. I’d love to hear from you, please leave a comment and rate the recipe! Thanks so much and happy cooking:)
Enjoyed this post on Oil-free hummus? Hungry for more? Try these!