Looking for a sandwich to knock your socks off? Try the No-Tuna Salad Sandwich🙂 Its dressing is packed with flavor from zesty lemons and “creamy” tahini paste, it tastes alive from plenty of fresh parsley and dill and has added ommph from the celery seeds. The salad is hearty from the chickpeas and delightfully crunchy from the apple, celery, red onion and sweet juicy red bell pepper. It’s packed with nutrients, has no added oils and depending on the bread you use is gluten free.
This can be served as a salad atop a bed of greens, or as a filling for sandwiches and lettuce boats. If you’re going the sandwich route, pick your bread carefully. A chunky wholewheat sourdough lightly toasted does the trick beautifully.
Don’t get hung up on using the exact ingredients, as always go with what you LOVE. Here are a few more ideas…
Optional add ins:
- chopped nuts – pecans, walnuts, cashews – toasted or not
- dried cranberries or raisins
- grated carrot
- curry powder instead of celery seed
How do I make a No-Tuna Salad Sandwich?
- Make the dressing. Let it sit while you’re chopping the vegetables for the salad, it will thicken up a little.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, chop the veggies and add everything to the dressing.
- Combine well, taste and adjust the flavorings to your liking.
- Toast some bread, line the bread with lettuce leaves and ladle on the salad.
Can I make this in advance?
Yes. Make the dressing and salad in advance, it will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just don’t put it in the sandwich yet, the bread will go soggy 🙁 You can always spritz the salad with a little more lemon juice and add a few more chopped herbs to freshen it up just before serving.
This takes approximately 10 minutes to whip up from start to finish – how’s that for fast food. It costs next to nothing and if eaten for lunch it will keep you full until dinner.Print
No-Tuna Salad Sandwich!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- Category: salad, vegan,
For the Dressing:
Zest and juice of a lemon
1 heaping tablespoon finely chopped parsley OR dill OR a combination of both
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dried onion powder
1 teaspoon dried garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
1/8 – 1/4 cup filtered water
Pinch of kosher salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Salad:
1, 15 oz can chickpeas low sodium, drained and rinsed and slightly mashed
2 sticks celery, small dice
1 tablespoon red onion, small dice
1/2 cup red bell pepper, small dice
1/2 cup red apple (I used Gala) small dice
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds (optional)
- To make the dressing: combine all the dressing ingredients EXCEPT THE WATER in a medium bowl. Stir well, the mixture will become very thick.
- Add the filtered water a tablespoon at a time stirring well. You want the dressing to be the consistency of mayonnaise.
- Set aside. It will thicken up a little as it sits.
- Add the salad ingredients to the dressing. Combine thoroughly.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired
Keywords: salad, vegan, sandwich,
If you’ve whipped up this Sandwich or any other recipe on The Well Fed Yogi, please do rate the recipe and leave me a comment below, I would love to hear from you! If you snapped some shots of the dish, please do share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Don’t forget to Pin for later!