What beckons summer more than a delicious lemon tart? This one is a beauty with its glossy, creamy, lemony filling with just the right amount of tang! Topped with berries and sprigs of mint it almost has a “cheesecake vibe.” So often lemon tarts can be laborious to make, first the pastry and then the filling, with lots of stirring, squeezing, and grating! This little number is effortless and you’re still left with a truly delicious result.
The crust is made with low-fat Graham Crackers and apple sauce OR coconut oil. Personally, I go for the applesauce option as it cuts out any added oil. Applesauce is wonderful in plant-based baking. If you want an even richer flavor use apple butter, it’s delicious!
How do you make the filling for the Lemon Tart?
It’s super simple to whip up. You simply take:
- soaked cashews
- lemon juice
- vanilla extract
- maple syrup
then blitz them together in a food processor to produce the most delicious “creamy” liquid which will be baked in the tart shell.
This lovely tart is best served chilled and topped with plenty of berries. It will happily keep in the fridge overnight but honestly won’t be at its best after 24 hours. Citrus of course is filled with vitamin C and prized for its mood-boosting properties. My family was certainly very happy when this appeared on the table. It was polished off very quickly.
What equipment do I need to make the Lemon Tart?
A spring-form tart pan is very useful here. You can make one 9 inch tart or multiple 3 inch if you prefer.
I hope you love this Lemon Tart with Berries! If you do make it please take a picture and share it on INSTAGRAM and I’ll repost it on my stories. I’d love to hear from you, please leave a comment and rate the recipe! Thanks so much and Happy Plant-Based Cooking!Print
Lemon Tart with Berries
A delicious healthy lemon tart with berries
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
6–7 tablespoons applesauce OR 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup raw cashews, soaked in boiling water for at least 1 hour
5oz can coconut cream
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup maple syrup
Pinch of turmeric – for color – optional
Assortment of berries, edible flowers, and fresh mint for garnish
- To make the graham cracker crumbs, place the crackers in a zip-lock bag and crush with a rolling pin until they resemble fine breadcrumbs.
- Place the graham cracker crumbs, vanilla extract, applesauce, OR coconut oil in a bowl and mix together until you well combined.
- Stir together until it forms a dough. You should be able to pinch it together between your fingers.
- Place into a springform tart shell, bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden. Allow to cool thoroughly before adding the filling.
- To make the filling drain and rinse the cashew thoroughly. Place all the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blitz until smooth.
- Pour into the pre-baked tart shell, place in the oven for 15-20 minutes – until set on the outside and slightly jiggly in the middle – try not to overcook!
- Remove from the oven and cool, then transfer to the fridge and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight