This Green Detox Smoothie is outrageously good for you and tastes as wonderful as it looks. Sadly I’m not one of those people who can choke down something just because it’s “good for me.” No, it has to look wonderful and taste wonderful otherwise it just isn’t happening. Happily that’s not hard to achieve. Nature’s been good to us and provided endless delicious health benefits from the plant world. Ingredients such as banana, pineapple, cucumber and lemons blitzed with superfoods such as kale, spinach, ginger and turmeric produce an elixir that is delightful to sip on while healing your cells 🙂
Here’s the full mighty lineup:
- Ginger – anti inflammatory properties, lowers blood sugar and may protect against heart disease.
- Turmeric – full of anti inflammatory and antioxidant properties, it has been shown to fight against Alzheimer’s, heart disease, cancer and may also help symptoms of depression and arthritis.
- Banana – the humble banana is full of fiber and potassium, it also provides probiotic’s essential for a happy tummy easing irritable bowl symptoms.
- Pineapple – Pineapple is deliciously sweet, low in calories and packed full of nutrients and antioxidants. It has been linked to a range of health benefits, including improved digestion, a lower risk of cancer, improved immunity and relief of arthritis symptoms.
- Spinach and or Kale – remember Popeye’s muscles? He loved spinach – it’s loaded with calcium which helps strengthen your bones to fight against injury. It’s also full of Vitamins A and C, fiber, folic acid, and other nutrients which aid in the fight against colon and breast cancer. Kale has been touted as the King of Vegetables and with good reason, it’s loaded with vitamins and nutrients and is said to protect against all manner of diseases including diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
- Parsley – is rich in antioxidants, protects agains heart disease and cancer, supports bone health and contains antibacterial properties.
- Cucumber – low in calories and high in nutrients, it promotes hydration and is said to lower blood sugar levels.
- Coconut Water – low in calories and high in potassium, magnesium and antioxidants.
- Oat milk – lactose, nut and soy free, so very handy for those with allergies. High in soluble fiber it has been shown to have heart health benefits.
Chai seeds and hemp seeds can be a nice addition sprinkled over the top if you’re looking for some extra Omega 3 Fatty Acids but don’t feel you have to rush out and buy them, the smoothie is still Heavenly without them.
A blender is of course essential here. Although I still don’t own the very much sought after Vitamix (one day I’ve promised myself I’ll bite the bullet and buy one) my run of the mill blender works fine here, but do keep it whizzing until you’ve reached a glorious silky smooth consistency.
Green Detox Smoothie
A deliciously refreshing detox green smoothie.
4 – 6 ounces oat milk (or your favorite non dairy milk) OR Coconut Water if you prefer
1 banana, peeled (frozen or not)
1 cup frozen pineapple
1 scoop vegan protein powder
1 cup baby spinach or baby kale or a combination
1 small Kirby cucumber or a 2 inch chunk of English cucumber
Juice of half a lemon
1/3 cup fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 inch knob of peeled fresh ginger
Sprinkling of chia and hemp seeds to garnish if desired
Pour 4 oz of the oat milk OR coconut water in blender. Start with only 4 oz but if the smoothie is too thick add another ounce or two of liquid.
Add the rest of the ingredients. Place the lid on the blender jar and blitz until the smoothie is velvety smooth. Add more liquid if necessary.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thewellfedyogi