I’ve been having a lot of trouble with chocolate peanut butter cups recently. You know the ones, they stack them next to the check out at the supermarket to tempt you as you’re standing in line. It’s that perfect combination of salty and sweet that’s so hard to resist. Consequently I decided to embrace the whole chocolate peanut butter cups bandwagon and make my own. I’ve experimented a little and these are the current winners. I used vegan chocolate of course, I tried almond butter to make believe there could be a healthy option but truth be told I like the peanut version better. A few flakes of sea salt sprinkled on top don’t hurt either. The New Year is around the corner, I think there may be a detox coming on…..
- 8 oz vegan chocolate of your choice
- 1 tablespoon of peanut or almond butter
- Tiny splash of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon maple syrup
- PInch of ground cinnamon
- Sea salt flakes to sprinkle
- To prepare the filling thoroughly mix the peanut/almond butter with the vanilla extract, maple syrup and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a heat proof bowl VERY gently in the microwave. I gave it 10 second bursts and then stirred well. Remember it melts quickly – before it actually looks like it’s melted.
- Pour a little of the chocolate into the mini cupcake molds. Add a small dollop of the peanut butter mixture, then cover with some more chocolate.
- Continue until you’ve used up all your mini cups. Sprinkle over a little salt if desired then place in the freezer for about 30 minutes to harden up.
- Happily, once hardened up they keep well at room temperature for a few days, but believe me they won’t be around that long.
These are perfect! I love the presentation and of course the option to mix it up with pb or almond butter! Love the pinch of cinnamon, too.
The Well Fed Yogi
So glad you like the look of them!