What is cozier than a silky smooth bowl of butternut squash and sweet potato soup? Such a simple soup to whip up and never fails to deliver with a gorgeous depth of flavor. It’s just a question of putting everything into a pan with great quality vegetable stock, adding some herbs and spices, cooking it up, then blitzing it in the Vitamix. That’s it. Hey presto – dinner in a flash.
Herbs and spices are key to this soup. I used a few fresh rosemary sprigs from the garden, I love how they infuse the soup with their scent. A generous 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cumin gives it a lovely smokey touch, along with a pinch of red pepper flakes for a little heat.
Dusting the top with a few toasted nuts and seeds for a little enjoyable texture is the crowning glory.
This is the perfect soup for curling up on the sofa and watching Netflix. Have a nice wholewheat sourdough roll handy to help you wipe out the bowl, a delightful evening’s entertainment:)
How long will it keep and can I freeze the soup?
- It will keep happily in the fridge for up to 4 days
- Yes, it freezes beautifully for up to 3 months in an airtight container. If however, you’re going to use cashew cream, I would advise not adding it until it thaws and you’re ready to eat it.
What can I add or substitute to this Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup?
You could transform it into a true root vegetable creation by adding:
- red-skinned potatoes
- celery root
Try upgrading it with a tablespoon or so of Cashew Cream, it adds a “bisque” like texture. If you’re looking to impress swirl a little on the top for a pretty effect.
I hope you love this soup! If you do make it, please take a picture and share it on Instagram and I’ll repost it on my stories. I’d love to hear from you, please leave a comment and rate the recipe! Thanks so much and happy cooking:)
Looking for other deliciously satisfying soups? Try these!Print
Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
A delightfully cozy Fall soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Diet: Vegan
1 small yellow onion. peeled and finely chopped
1 leek, cleaned and finely sliced
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, and cut into chunks
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup dry white wine
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
A variety of your favorite toasted nuts and seeds
A swirl of Cashew Cream (optional)
- Heat 1/4 cup vegetable broth in a large saucepan, add the prepared onion, leek, butternut squash, sweet potato. Sprinkle over the cumin and black pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the wine, allow it to bubble and cook for a minute or two. Add the rosemary sprigs and the rest of the stock. Bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer. Allow to cook until the veggies are tender.
- Transfer to a high-speed blender and blitz until silky smooth. If the soup is too thick, add a little more stock to thin.
- Return to the pan, add a tablespoon of Cashew Cream if using.
Keywords: soup, butternut squash, Fall,