Try this gorgeous Asparagus Spring Salad to brighten your day and delight your taste buds!
This Asparagus Spring Salad has something for everyone. Plenty of green goodness from the lettuce, microgreens, asparagus, and fresh herbs, crunch from the toasted pine nuts, salt from the olives, sweet from the peas, and crisp from the radishes. It’s delicious, super-duper healthy, and very satisfying. In short, it’s everything a salad should be!
Spring is asparagus season! It’s overflowing in the supermarket so go for it and grab yourself a couple of bunches. Lightly steaming it for this salad is quick and easy. Just place a bunch in a covered pan with about 1/3 cup water and steam until it’s bright green and easily pierced with a sharp knife. Drain well and it’s ready for use.
What’s in Asparagus Spring Salad?
A mix of salad greens: use your favorite, try lambs lettuce, microgreens, mesclun, arugula, or baby salad greens
Fresh herbs: mint and dill are my favorites here but lemon thyme, lemon verbena, or in a pinch parsley and basil are great options
Orange and yellow peppers: provide a beautiful pop of color, not to mention great nutrition as peppers are packed with Vitamin C
Baby tomatoes: deliciously summery!
Asparagus: Lightly steamed with a little crispiness, they are a gift of Spring
Frozen peas: You could absolutely use fresh peas and cook them with the asparagus, they provide a delicious sweetness
Toasted pine nuts: toasting the nuts brings out the “nutty” flavor and adds to the satisfaction of the salad
Radishes: Crisp, crunchy, and fresh!
Cucumber: providing hydration
Green olives: provide a delicious salty flavor
What can I add or substitute?
- your favorite nuts – cashews, walnuts, almonds, pecans, hazelnuts, macadamia
- hemp seeds for extra omega 3 fatty acids
- legumes – try chickpeas for added protein and fiber
- steamed green beans or any other vegetable of your choice!
- a cooked grain such as farro
- fresh herbs like basil, parsley, lemon thyme
What about the dressing?
I want to let you into a little secret. Store-bought dressing is a wonderful thing! Especially when it contains NO-OIL and tastes great:) I rely heavily on Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinaigrette for those days when there is just no time to make my own. It’s so quick and easy to have this sitting in the fridge, ready to liberally shake over my salads and veggies. I love it! Alternatively, you could use my favorite Cashew Cream Dressing which is a winner!
What equipment do I need to make the Asparagus Spring Salad?
A beautiful eco-friendly Salad Bowl and Servers is a lovely thing to own!
I hope you love this Asparagus Spring Salad! If you do make it please take a picture and share it on Instagram and I’ll repost it on my stories. I’d love to hear from you, please leave a comment and rate the recipe! Thanks so much and happy cooking:)Print
Asparagus Spring Salad
A delightfully satisfying, very healthy Spring Salad
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- Category: salad
- Diet: Vegan
1 bunch asparagus, remove any thick, woody stems
1 cup frozen peas
2 cups of your favorite salad greens (lambs lettuce, arugula, baby mixed greens)
1 yellow pepper, large dice
1 orange pepper, large dice
1/2 English cucumber OR 2 Kirby cucumbers, sliced
1 1/2 cups baby tomatoes, halved
3 radishes, thinly sliced
1/3 cup pitted green olives, halved
1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
1/2 cup fresh mint and dill, roughly chopped
- Remove the peas from the freezer, place them on a plate and they will defrost while you’re assembling the salad.
- To steam the asparagus, first, remove any thick woody stems. Place them in a large pan with approximately 1/3 cup water. Cover, bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer and allow to steam until they’re bright green and just tender – about 3-5 minutes depending on the thickness of the asparagus. Don’t overcook, you want them on the crisp side. Drain and remove from the pan to cool.
- Toast the pine nuts by placing them in a pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Watch carefully and stir to ensure even cooking. Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- To assemble the salad, place the salad greens, diced yellow and orange peppers, cucumber, baby tomatoes, radishes, green olives, toasted pine nuts, mint, and dill in a large bowl. Toss well to combine.
- Cut the asparagus into 1-inch slices and add to the salad. Sprinkle over the peas if they have thoroughly defrosted. If not, blitz them in the microwave for 30-60 seconds. Don’t overcook, you want them bright green and just cooked through.
- Toss with your chosen dressing and enjoy!
Keywords: Asparagus Spring Salad