This fabulous Winter Kale Salad is deliciously satisfying!
This glorious Winter Kale Salad is exactly what you want to be eating after the Holidays, it’s a delicious detox in a bowl! Zingy and refreshing from the dressing, it’s a powerhouse of plant nutrition and tastes so yummy and satisfying. There’s just the right amount of heat, sweet and sour, plus it’s crunchy, chewy, and creamy. Yup, I can’t stop eating this one!
What’s in this Winter Kale Salad?
All the macronutrients are present in this delicious salad. Protein from the chickpeas, fats from the avocado and nuts, and carbs from the veggies.
- curly or lacinato (Tuscan) kale – I used curly and loved it but some people think the lacinato (Tuscan) has a milder flavor so prefer that in raw dishes
- shallot or red onion
- pistachios – or your favorite nuts, try pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews, almonds
- dried fruit – or your favorite dried fruit, try cherries, apricots, or even blueberries
What can I add or substitute?
Never be constrained by a recipe! Why not try:
- clementine segments
- pomegranate seeds
- to make it more substantial try adding some cooked farro
Tips to make raw Kale taste great!
- chop the kale into very small ribbons
- massage it well in the citrus juice which helps to break down the tough fibers
- toss it really well and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving so the flavors have a chance to meld
How long will the Winter Kale Salad last?
3 – 4 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
What equipment do I need to make this Salad?
A really good sharp knife is very helpful!
Some pretty salad bowls are always fun and come in very handy.
Looking for other nourishing salads? Try these!Print
Winter Kale Salad
A highly nutritious and very delicious Kale Salad.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: salad
- Method: raw
- Cuisine: healthy
- Diet: Vegan
For the dressing:
Zest and juice of a lemon
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 – 2 tablespoons Date Syrup OR maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of red pepper flakes
For the salad:
1 bunch curly kale, washed, tough stems removed and chopped
1 English organic cucumber or 4–6 small Kirby cucumbers, small dice
1/4 cup shallot or red onion, small dice
1, 14 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup dried fruit, cranberries, or raisins
1 red-skinned organic apple, cored and diced
1/4 cup pistachios
1/2 avocado, cut into chunks
- In a small bowl mix together the lemon zest, juice, rice vinegar, date or maple syrup, and ground cumin.
- Place the prepared kale in a large bowl and pour the dressing over. Massage for a few minutes, don’t be shy! You want to break down the tough fibers.
- Add the diced cucumber, red onion drained and rinsed chickpeas, dried fruit, apple, pistachios, and avocado. Toss well.
- Sprinkle over the black pepper and red pepper flakes, toss again. Taste! Adjust the seasoning by adding more citrus, or date syrup/maple syrup as desired.
- Allow the salad to sit for 10 minutes then serve.
Keywords: Winter Kale Salad
Made this tonight. Super tasty with a perfect balance of flavours and textures. Hubby had no idea there was kale in it and didn’t miss any olive oil or salt. Clever and deliciously healthy recipe. Thank you!
The Well Fed Yogi
I’m so happy it was a success! I really find if you play with flavors you don’t miss the oil and the salt at all:)