This Heavenly Plant-Based Chocolate Pudding is “creamy” decadent, and luscious. Don’t miss it!
This divine plant-based chocolate pudding is deliciously rich, smooth, and flavorful. Yes, it is entirely possible to whip up a fabulous tasting vegan chocolate pudding from scratch with very little effort that tastes amazing! Being so ridiculously easy to make, you can dress it up for a fancy Holiday dessert or have it as a treat for an everyday kitchen supper!
What’s in the Plant-Based Chocolate Pudding?
- your favorite plant milk
- dark cocoa powder
- date syrup
- vanilla extract
- dark chocolate
- A tablespoon or so of cornstarch
- coffee (optional)
- Grand-Marnier, rum, or brandy (optional)
How do you make Plant-Based Chocolate Pudding?
- Heat the plant milk and chocolate in a pan along with the date syrup and alcohol if using. Bring to a simmer.
- Mix the cornstarch with a tablespoon or two of the chocolatey milk until you have a paste.
- Pour it back into the pan, simmer and stir until thickened
- If the pudding has lumps – pass it through a strainer to achieve a silky smooth texture!
- Add the dark chocolate and vanilla, stir until the chocolate has melted, pour into a dish or pretty individual pots
- Chill in the fridge and then devour
Is chocolate really good for you?
Dark chocolate with a cocoa percentage of at least 55% contains flavonols, antioxidants, and nutrients said to lower blood pressure and improve brain function! Now, we’re talking about DARK chocolate here, and only about an ounce or two a day. None of the sugary, mass-produced candy populating the aisles of the grocery store!
If you’re looking for science-based information on the benefits of dark chocolate read the Harvard School of Public Health article on chocolate.
Happily, the consensus seems to be a small amount of good quality dark chocolate is beneficial.
What about the flavorings?
There are all sorts of lovely options. To make it a little more of a special occasion dessert you could add a tablespoon of the following in step 1 when you heat the milk and cocoa:
For non-alcoholic flavorings try:
- a pinch of ground cinnamon
- orange zest
- instant coffee granules
- a pinch of ground cardamon
If you’ve made this pudding or any other recipe on The Well Fed Yogi, please do rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I would love to hear from you! If you’ve snapped some shots of it, please do share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Happy Cooking and Happy Holidays!
Looking for other luscious desserts? Try these!Print
Plant-Based Chocolate Pudding
A deeply chocolatey delicious, healthy alternative to the classic.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: dessert,
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Whole Food Plant Based
- Diet: Vegan
2 cups non-dairy milk
1/3 cup dark cocoa powder
1/3 cup date syrup
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup good quality dark chocolate (chopped)
1 1/2 teaspoons brewed coffee or instant coffee granules
1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a saucepan combine the non-dairy milk, dark chocolate powder, and date syrup.
- Heat, whisk until simmering.
- Place the cornstarch in a small bowl, add 2 – 3 tablespoons of the chocolatey milk mixture, stir well until there are no lumps. Pour into the pan.
- Stir well and bring back to a simmer. Cook for a minute or two and allow the mixture to thicken. Remove from the heat.
- Pour in the dark chocolate and stir until melted.
- Add the coffee and vanilla and stir to combine.
- If your pudding is lumpy strain it through a strainer.
- Pour into one large or small individual bowls and place in the fridge to chill.
- The pudding will firm up as it chills.
Keywords: Plant-Based Chocolate Pudding